It was Thursday at lunch and I made a wish. I didn’t wish for a book deal or that my girls would stop fighting or to get the day back at Hyatt Lost Pines that Blue Eyes and I lost when Sparkles got sick, which all would have been good wishes, but my needs were simple.
I wished for Friday off work.
So I could catch up at home. So I could relax just a little. So I could get a break from my job that didn’t ever slow down.
Then, when I got back to the office, I got laid off.
I was smiling a little, in the meeting with my boss and HR, and I’m sure they weren’t sure why. It was just kind of funny, that I got what I wished for, only different.
My plans for 2013 will change. For now, my only plans are for next week, when I will…
- Spend one day doing nothing at all with any practical value.
- See a few movies on the list I always make after the Golden Globes, but don’t usually have time to see.
- Write for a whole day.
- Spend time with a friend and her new baby.
- Find a hiking buddy and take a long hike, the kind I can’t do with the kids.
- Write for another whole day.
- Take a nap.
- Sit around the house.
- Take another nap.
After next week, I’ll think more about it and get more serious. Hmmm, should I dare to make another wish?