My Grandma passed away last week. These are a few things I remember about my Grandma.
- She was born in Portugal, in a house made of stone and mud on the side of a mountain, and as a child she walked down the mountain to school in her bare feet.
- When I was young, she would tell me I was too skinny and watch to see if she thought I was eating enough, which was impossible, so I learned to take a bite only when she was looking.
- When I got older, she stopped telling me I was too skinny. 🙁
- The throw pillows in her and Grandpa’s house were covered in plastic, to protect them, as if they would be the only throw pillows she would ever have and maybe they were.
- She talked about the mafia a lot, she said everything in Jersey was controlled by the mafia.
- When we traveled to Portugal together, she told our relatives I was twenty-six instead of twenty-nine, because I was way to old to be single and she arranged for a suitor to take me on walks. He was sixteen and his favorite band was the Spice Girls.
Bye bye, Grandma. I love you and I’ll miss you.