5. Arts-and-crafts – It isn’t your everyday arts-and-crafts when the project’s theme is influenced by the current art exhibit and a professional artist is there to share ideas. This Saturday, June 9, the kids will build dancing wire sculptures and learn about balance, parts of the body and the way they fit together.
4. Move Your Body – Now and then, there is a free yoga-type class for the kids, so you can exercise your body and your mind. This Saturday, Miss Joan, with Creative Dance Adventures, will lead a dance class at 1pm.
3. Move Your Mind – The Laguna Gloria museum is perfect for kids because there is art indoors and out and it is right-sized for their attention span.
2. Hike the trails – You can walk the pretty trails behind the museum, through the trees and along the shore of Lake Austin. Sometimes you will even find an art piece hidden within the trees.
1. See the birds – Walk a few steps East and you’ll be in Mayfield Park where you can see pretty gardens and real-live peacocks.
My girls and I enjoyed all of this the other day, but after all that, they had the idea to play Duck-Duck-Goose on the front lawn. I didn’t know you could play Duck-Duck-Goose with only three people, but I imagine you can do a lot of things, if you don’t get caught up in the details.
I enjoyed doing both with my girls that day, the fancy art and the silly running in circles. If this sounds like fun, check it out this Saturday. Also check out AustinKidsDraw.com for more ideas on Seeing Art and Doing Art with your kids.